Monday, September 25, 2017

Week 9

Hey!

How’s everyone doing? Another week down here in the Piura Vida. I think it would be safe to say that this week was a pretty normal one, and typical of what it’s usually going to be like. I think I’m starting to get used to the routine here. Lots of teaching, lots of work, and lots of fun. Oh, and lots of heat also. ;)

On Sunday, church went a lot smoother. Maybe my first week was just a bad day, but sacrament meeting was pretty unorganized. This week was a lot better and under control. We didn’t randomly get called on to speak so that was good too, lol. During second hour, me and Elder Bayona taught the Principles of the Gospel class to all the recent converts. It went really well. I’m starting to get a lot more confident with my Spanish when I teach. I think for the most part I make sense with what I’m trying to say. I believe we are going to teach that class every Sunday. Oh I almost forgot, we had 7 of our investigators come to church! It was awesome.

Sunday night we met up with all of the missionaries in Sullana to do what we call “Invasiones”. Basically we choose one area to go to in Sullana and all the missionaries meet up there and go visit less actives, investigators, or recent converts. It’s really helpful for the missionaries in the chosen area because they can get a lot of appointments scheduled for their week. This week we chose to go to Querecotillo. Querecotillo is about a 20 minute bus ride east of my area in Sullana and it is super pretty. I’m not gonna lie, I was a little jealous of the missionaries there.It’s a super quiet area with lots of fields and trees that are actually green!! It was super nice to get out of the busy city for a few hours. And apparently the missionaries have hot showers there. So they are definitely living lavish there. But anyways, Invasiones is super fun to meet up with all the other missionaries. It’s easily one of my favorite things to do.

P-day was super fun. We met up with some of the other missionaries in Sullana and chilled at their place. We all paid three soles to get lunch from a member, and she made us a HUGE bucket of spaghetti. No joke the thing probably weighed like 30 pounds. We took the food up to the roof of their apartment and chilled and ate up there. It was super fun. I’ve never eaten that much spaghetti before…

On Friday we knocked a lot of doors. We didn’t really have any appointments with anyone so that’s basically all we did. We didn’t really have a ton of success the whole day except for like the last door we knocked. A younger lady opened the door. Her name is Ania and she’s Catholic, but her and her sister were super open to hearing our message of the restoration. We invited them to church and they said yes! They seem super interested and I’m so glad we decided to knock one more door. We can always knock one more. 

On Saturday we taught Sonya and her son Lander. We met them in the street one of more first nights here. We taught them about the Book of Mormon and how it’s another testament of Christ. They seemed interested se we scheduled an appointment for the following week. Well, when the time came to teach them, we couldn’t find their house (directions are really bad here). The next day Sonya’s son Lander, who is 12, ran up to us in the street and said, “Hey! Where were you guys last night? We had an appointment!” It was super awesome to see that they were committed and were waiting for us to come. Anyways, Lander pointed out where they lived, and yesterday we were able to teach them the Restoration. Let’s just say that they were prepared. Sonya and Lander listened carefully to everything we had to say, and when we recited the First Vision, tears filled Sonya’s eyes. The spirit was so strong and it was awesome. We invited them to be baptized on the 28th of October and they agreed. As soon as we gave them the date of the 28th Lander immediately took my pen and wrote the date on his hand so he wouldn’t forget. It was awesome. This was such a testimony builder to me that there really are people out there who are prepared to hear the word. They just don’t know where to find it. I’m so glad that I can be a messenger that brings this great news to people here. It’s experiences like this that make all the difficult days worth it. 

I know this gospel is true and I love the Lord! I hope you all are doing well back home. I miss you all so much! I’ll talk to y’all next week. General conference!! Yeah boy.

Elder Bailey


















No comments:

Post a Comment

The End of an Adventure

Well, it has been a crazy, and heart-wrenching week. I am honestly without words. I never expected there to be more tears in returning ...