Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Week 2: Small and Simple Things

Hey Everyone!

Another week down here at the CCM. Hope you are all doing well. Everything is going great here in Peru. We didn’t have an incredibly eventful week in terms of variety. Mostly just Spanish classes. So, I thought I would explain a little more about the CCM and what goes on around here, as well as a cool experience I had. 

So the CCM is really nice. A lot nicer than I thought it would be. Maybe I think it is nicer than it actually is, just after seeing what the rest of Lima looks like. Nonetheless it’s nice and it’s starting to feel like home. Anyways, there are three buildings that make up the CCM: one for dorms and classes, one for the cafeteria and chapel, and one for offices. So it is pretty small and simple. Everything here is in Spanish. All the books, lessons, and prayers. The only thing in the entire CCM that is in English are the backboards on the basketball hoops that read: “NO DUNKING”. Now the only reason I can figure out why it’s in English is because nobody needs to worry about the latinos dunking, considering I haven’t met one above 5’6” lol. But where they lack in height, they make up for in their soccer skills. 

The food here is really different but I’ve really come to like it. Lunches and dinners consist of rice and meat, along with a soup. It sounds bland, but it’s much better than you would think. Breakfast however, is usually just an egg or a piece of lunchmeat, but they have a bin where you can get as much bread as you want. So I probably eat about half a loaf of bread each morning. It’s great. 

Spanish classes are in the morning and night, with our physical activity time in the afternoon. Activity time is the best time of the day. I usually play soccer with latinos, even thought I’m terrible compared to them. I swear a few of them could go pro. It’s super fun though and I’m getting better. The latinos are super funny and awesome. They all want me to teach them how to workout and how to play football. They’re some of my best friends already. They’re the best.

I want to share a pretty cool experience that happened on Monday. We had to wake up at 4:30 on Monday morning to go to what is called “Interpol”. Basically you go into downtown Lima and stand in a crowded line for 6 hours to get fingerprinted and to submit information for our visas. As we stood in line, we started to talk to the people around us. Me and two other Elders (who know much more Spanish than me) talked to a younger man from Venezuela. We had a pretty casual conversation for awhile but eventually we started to teach him what we were there for and what we believed. We taught him about the Book of Mormon and the message it contains. We gave him a copy and I was then able to share my testimony of the Book he held in his hands. I hope that somehow through my broken Spanish, that man could feel the power and truthfulness of my message. I know what I said was not perfect nor creative Spanish, but it was small and simple, and from my heart. That is what is important. “Behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass.”

I know that this great gospel is true. I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God, as it contains the fulness of His gospel. I’m so grateful for the opportunity I have to share these truths with others.

I love you all and hope you have a great week!!

Con Amor,
Elder Bailey


















No comments:

Post a Comment

The End of an Adventure

Well, it has been a crazy, and heart-wrenching week. I am honestly without words. I never expected there to be more tears in returning ...