Monday, September 11, 2017

Week 7

Well, I am officially a real missionary. Me and four other missionaries from the CCM flew into the Piura “airport” early on Tuesday morning (It wasn’t much of an airport). As we touched down, I got an overwhelming feeling that this is where I need to be at this time. After we got our bags we were immediately met by president and Hermana Rasmussen and some of the APs. We took some moto-taxis to the mission home. The mission home is basically a giant mansion here. It’s really nice. There we had the best breakfast I’ve had in six weeks: unlimited eggs and pancakes. It was amazing. After that we had some lessons and then we found out our trainers and areas. I am companions with Elder Bayona from Lima. He doesn’t speak any English so I’ve had to pick up the language pretty quick. It’s been fun. I also have been teaching him English as well. He’s getting better everyday just like me. Elder Bayona is awesome though, he’s a really good missionary and he’s really patient with me. We are assigned to serve in the City of Sullana. It is about a forty minute bus ride north of Piura. Let’s just say this place is a lot different then back home or even Lima. It’s a desert here, so it’s not the prettiest place in the world, but you could say it is pretty in other ways. Most of the streets are dirt or sand, and in some parts of town the streets have a river of human waste. In those parts we just hold our ties over our noses and run. It’s funny. When we got to our apartment, we opened the door to find the place completely destroyed. Whoever were the last missionaries must have been living like chanchos. There was garbage and food and dishes everywhere. The worst part was the bathroom. It was atrocious. So we spent the first night just cleaning everything for a few hours. It was definitely my first challenge of the mission field. We have the place looking decent now, but I still can’t figure out how to fix the smell. Oh well. 

As far as the work goes, there is so much to do. We don’t know anyone or any members here. The first few days we spent just looking for recent converts and investigators. It’s really hard because nobody knows where anything is and there aren’t any street signs. So it’s been a bit of a struggle. We have been able to find and teach all of our investigators with baptismal dates, though, which is 7. I hope that they can all come through and be baptized. One that I have really come to like is Josef. Josef is an 11 year old boy who has a good understanding of the gospel. I teach him some English every time we visit him. He is super awesome and I hope he ends up being baptized. 

I’d be lying if I didn’t say that this was one of the longest and hardest weeks of my life. The days are very long and hot and physically draining. I completely stand out and most people look at me funny or laugh. I can’t speak very well and can’t completely understand other people. It has definitely been hard and a challenge. But I know why I am here: to bless the lives of others by bringing them to the gospel. One scripture that sticks out in my mind is Alma 36:24, “Yea, and from that time even until now, I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of the exceeding joy of which I did taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.”

This is what I want to say at the end of my mission. I want to say that I have brought souls to receive the same joy which I have received. I know that it won’t be easy, but it will be worth it. 

Thanks for your prayers and support. I love and miss you all tons.

Elder Bailey




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're doibg great.
    When hard times comes or you struggle think about Alma 36:24. Its definitely worth it. And I love that I'm able to follow your journey all the way from Sweden.

    ReplyDelete

The End of an Adventure

Well, it has been a crazy, and heart-wrenching week. I am honestly without words. I never expected there to be more tears in returning ...