Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Week 11

Hello my friends!

I hope you’re all doing just great. I don’t have a ton to report on, but a few cool things happened.

Last P-day we decided as a zone to go to a place called Morropón. On Sunday night we all headed in to Piura and spent the night at the mission office. We then woke up at 5:00 the next morning to take a bunch of buses and moto-taxis up to this place. Morropón is awesome. It was what I pictured in my mind how my mission would be when I got called to Peru. It was super mountainous and pretty green. There were random houses and shacks scattered around the mountains and it was just super cool. We hiked one of the trails that went to a waterfall and chilled there for an hour or so. Overall, it was pretty awesome. I can now check “hike through the mountains of Peru” off of my bucket list.

On Thursday we had a lesson with a recent convert named Yosi. After our lesson, she invited us to stay and eat dinner. Her brother turned on the Peru vs. Argentina game and we were able to watch the end of it with them. Sorry Isaac, your boys from Argentina couldn’t get it done. ;) It ended in a tie, which was a total victory for all the people here. Everyone went crazy in the streets after. Futbol is definitely the religion of Peru. It’s crazy. Apparently Peru only needs one more point to have a chance to make it to the World Cup for the first time since 1984. I believe they have one more game against Columbia on Tuesday or Wednesday. If they tie or win, everyone is going to go nuts. Vamos Peru!

On Friday we had a lesson with a 16 year old girl named Ana Lucia. We had found her while street contacting about a week or so ago, and we had made an appointment to teach her. When we knocked on her door she did not want to let us in. After talking to her on her porch for some time she finally budged and we were able to go in. She explained to us that she had experiences a lot of death in her family and that it was very hard for her because she did not believe that there was life after death. We were able to share our knowledge pf the Plan of Salvation and how we can find hope in Jesus Christ and His gospel. I definitely spoke with words that were not mine. The spirit was so strong as I testified that Jesus Christ has overcome death, and we will all live again. I was able to share with her the doctrines found in Alma 11: “Now there is a death which is called a temporal death; and the death of Christ shall loose the bands of this temporal death, that all shall be raised from this temporal death. The spirit and the body shall be reunited again in its perfect form; both limb and joint shall be restored to its proper frame, even as we now are at this time.” As I mentioned, the Spirit was so powerful and I know that she felt it in her heart. I could see the desire to change and believe in her eyes. I know that we can all find hope in the gospel and in Jesus Christ. It is the only way to find lasting peace and happiness. I know that because of Christ we will all live again. What a blessing. 

So far this mission has been the hardest thing I’ve ever done. It has taken a lot of sacrifice, persistence, and hard work. They call it missionary work for a reason. But as hard as it’s been, it’s also been rewarding. I have never felt so close to my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. It’s amazing how you can be brought so much close to them while helping others. As hard as the day to day work is, it’s worth it, and I will gladly do the will of the Lord even if that means I have to suffer a little bit. I know that this is the work of the Lord, and I’m grateful for this opportunity I have to play a part in it. 

Talk to you next week!
Nos Vemos, 
Elder Bailey














No comments:

Post a Comment

The End of an Adventure

Well, it has been a crazy, and heart-wrenching week. I am honestly without words. I never expected there to be more tears in returning ...