Saturday, July 14, 2018

Week 50

Well I am highly convinced that my area, La Cruz, is low-key the coolest area in the mission Peru, Piura. It is sooo much different than the busy city life of Sullana and Piura, and like I guessed last week, it is literally a city right on the beach. Each morning we walk 5 minutes from our room to have our companionship study right on the water. There’s a lot more hills and trees and just a little more rural overall. I guess you could say that it’s a little more what I pictured when I opened my mission call to serve in Peru.The hills, the humble homes, and the wild pigs and horses that roam around all make for a genuine Peruvian experience. I love it here!

 As much as I love the new area, we had a little bit of a rough start with our apartment. So last Monday when we rolled my bags into our apartment, right off the bat I wasn’t too impressed from the looks of things. I wouldn’t say that this mission, is known for it’s luxurious apartments, but this one ad some problems. The room was basically a giant concrete box that felt like living in an unfinished basement, and trapped in all the heat like a sauna. the front door was broken so we couldn’t really lock the door to leave, and the most fun of all? We had a rat infestation. Every time we came bak to our room wed find our papers chewed up and rat poop on the floor, in the kitchen, and on our beds. Each day we had to store all our food in the drawers of our dresser and in the refrigerator to keep those little buggers from munching on our food. Luckily, we were able to talk with our zone leaders and got permission to go house hunting. We found a nice little roomiest up the road and made plans to move in Thursday morning. However on Wednesday night when we came back from playing soccer with the ward, we opened the door to our room and found one of the rats. The guy was about a foot long head to tail and we chased him until we had him cornered under my bed. We quickly made a plan that I would quickly move the bed, Elder Matute (Ecuador) would scare the rat our of the corner and Elder Rojas (Mexico) would try to hit him with a broom. After we were ready to execute the plan, we move the bed and Elder Matute ran over to corner to scare the rat out of the corner, but nothing happened. The sneaky guy was nowhere to be found. We were super confused, knowing that the rat had nowhere to escape and we had him cornered. After looking around for a minute we had no idea where the big guy went. Finally I had the idea to lift up the mattress above where the rat was, and sure enough there was a little hole under the mattress. Before we were able to move the bed, he must've climbed up into the whole in the old mattress. We threw off my sheets and blankets and shook and stomped all over the mattress to try to get him to come out but it was no luck. He wasn’t gonna budge. So, considering it was either sleep on the mattress with our new amigo, or sleep on the floor with all his other amigos, I decided to throw the sheets and blankets back on and go to bed as if nothing happened. I guess its not everyday that you get to sleep with a rat living in your mattress! Good times. On Thursday we were able to move into our new room which is really nice. And yes, we were able to get some new mattresses too, lol. So yeah, you really do get to make some fun memories out here in the mission. 

The missionary work here in La Cruz is just as awesome as the landscape. People seem to be so much more open to hearing and accepting our message. It seemed as if nobody rejected s this week. It’s a big change from my last area in Piura. I think the people here are a little ore humble and seem to have some more free time. Right now we are teaching quite a few people and trying to see who will progress. Missionary work is like sifting for gold, you have to sift through hundreds of pounds of dirt and sand to find those few precious pieces of gold, Right now you could say that we are “sifting” through our investigators. Hopefully we will find some gold pretty soon here.

On Sunday church was pretty interesting. This ward here is a lot smaller than my other two wards I’ve served in and I really feel like can help strengthen this ward, and I’m excited to serve here to do just that. 

Last week for P-day we went up an hour North from La Cruz to a huge market called aguas verdes, which is the border between Peru and Ecuador. It was pretty cool to walk around around the market and talk with foreigners from all over the world. 

Lately I’ve been studying the talks from this last general conference. With each talk I read, I feel so grateful that we live in a time with prophets, seers, and revelations. What a blessing it is to have these inspired men in our lives and to hear the word and will go the Lord every 6 months! I think it’s something that we definitely take for granted every now and then. I challenge everyone to read and study the talks from this last conference! I promise you will be blessed and will feel the Lord more closely in your life! 

I hope everyone had a happy 4th of July! I miss living in the greatest country in the world;) God bless America.

Avanza Su Verdad!

Elder Bailey










No comments:

Post a Comment

The End of an Adventure

Well, it has been a crazy, and heart-wrenching week. I am honestly without words. I never expected there to be more tears in returning ...