Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Week 53

Hey y’all!

This week the missionaries were put in charge of hosting a “capilla abierta” or “open chapel” in our little ward building here in La Cruz. A little ways back, the Area Presidency here in the South America Northwest Area established these church open houses with the goal of getting more people (non-members, investigators, less-actives, etc.) out to see and learn more about the church and what we believe. The open house basically consists of 10-15 minute tours of the church which start in the chapel with learning about the sacrament, and then progressively move throughout the rest of the building to learn more about different topics like baptism, family history and temples, and also all the organizations within the church like Young Mens/Womens, Priesthood, and the Relief Society. It’s a really great idea for missionary work, and when we did one while I was in Sullana it was super successful. However when we heard that we were going to host one in our little building, we were a little nervous. Considering the ward activities we had tried to plan in the past, we didn’t have a whole lot of faith that our ward was going to come together to help us plan and pull this thing off. Luckily, our prayers were answered and the majority of the leaders from each organization showed up to help Thursday afternoon! We also got help from the rest of the missionaries in the zone to help everything go smoothly. Me and Elder Randall changed in to the famous white clothes to run the station that teaches about baptism. It was fun to teach with him again and to relive our glory days of being companions in Piura. Although overall we didn’t get a whole lot of visitors for the tours, the open house went a lot better then expected, and I think it was good for strengthening the leaders and members of our ward. Definitely a miracle!

This week we decided we decided to get a little more creative in getting references and finding new people to teach by inviting everyone to an english class that we had Friday night in the church. Everyone around here absolutely loves to learn anything English, so a lot of people were actually pretty interested in coming. We had a pretty good turnout of about 10-15 people who showed up ready to learn. taught the basics of how to introduce yourself, say where your from, etc. It was super funny to try to teach them the pronunciation of words over and over and over again, and they just couldn’t hack it. It made me think of my first days in the CCM over a year ago when I literally could not say or understand a thing in Spanish. I think of how far I have come since then and it blows my mind. The gift of tongues is real!

On Saturday while knocking doors, we found the sweetest old lady you could ever imagine named Teodosa. Teodosa is 85 years old and lives all by herself. We sat with her for more than an hour as she explained to us her whole life story. She told us about how much she loved her husband, and how over their 50+ years of marriage they never fought and always stuck together. She then broke down in tears telling us about how she has lost 3 of her 4 kids: one to cancer, one to a brain tumor, and the other had been killed in a car accident. She also told us that her last son is in prison right now on false charges. So, Teodosa literally has no one to help her. She has little money, and can barely get around the house. As we sat and talked with her, I kept thinking how I was sure that I had never found anyone as “poor in spirit” as this humble lady. We shared with her God’s plan for us, and then I had a strong impression to give her a priesthood blessing. As I put my hands on her head the spirit was so strong and I felt that through the blessing, the Lord was able to tell Teodosa the comforting words that she needed to hear. As we left, tears rolled down her face as she thanked us for our visit. I’m so grateful for the power of the Priesthood and the blessings it brings into our lives. I’m also grateful that the Lord was able to guide us to one of his children that was in need of help that day. 

On Thursday I hit my year mark! I really can’t believe I’ve been out on my mission for a year. Somehow it feels likes like such a short time I’ve been gone but at the same time an eternity. Despite being one of the hardest and most challenging things I’ve ever done, being on this mission is the best decision I’ve ever made for my life. I look back on this last year and think of the people I have met, miracles I’ve seen, challenges I’ve overcome, and the man I am becoming. It’s truly amazing and I’ll always be grateful for my mission and the things I’m learning here. I’m now starting the third quarter, which they say is always the most crucial of the game. ;) It shapes the outcome of the rest of the ball game…

My thought this week is one of my favs in all of the Book of Mormon. Here is Alma teaching his son, Helaman, and comparing the Liahona to the words of Christ:

38 And now, my son, I have somewhat to say concerning the thing which our fathers call a ball, or director—or our fathers called it Liahona, which is, being interpreted, a compass; and the Lord prepared it.
39 And behold, there cannot any man work after the manner of so curious a workmanship. And behold, it was prepared to show unto our fathers the course which they should travel in the wilderness.
40 And it did work for them according to their faith in God; therefore, if they had faith to believe that God could cause that those spindles should point the way they should go, behold, it was done; therefore they had this miracle, and also many other miracles wrought by the power of God, day by day.
41 Nevertheless, because those miracles were worked by small means it did show unto them marvelous works. They were slothful, and forgot to exercise their faith and diligence and then those marvelous works ceased, and they did not progress in their journey;
42 Therefore, they tarried in the wilderness, or did nottravel a direct course, and were afflicted with hunger and thirst, because of their transgressions.
43 And now, my son, I would that ye should understand that these things are not without a shadow; for as our fathers were slothful to give heed to this compass (now these things were temporal) they did not prosper; even so it is with things which are spiritual.
44 For behold, it is as easy to give heed to the word of Christ, which will point to you a straight course to eternal bliss, as it was for our fathers to give heed to this compass, which would point unto them a straight course to the promised land.
45 And now I say, is there not a type in this thing? For just as surely as this director did bring our fathers, by following its course, to the promised land, shall the words of Christ, if we follow their course, carry us beyond this vale of sorrow into a far better land of promise.
46 O my son, do not let us be slothful because of the easiness of the way; for so was it with our fathers; for so was it prepared for them, that if they would look they might live; even so it is with us. The way is prepared, and if we will look we may live forever.

Let us not be slothful! Follow the words of Christ.
Avanza su verdad!
Elder Bailey













No comments:

Post a Comment

The End of an Adventure

Well, it has been a crazy, and heart-wrenching week. I am honestly without words. I never expected there to be more tears in returning ...